Monday, August 3, 2009

Double Trouble

So this is gonna be my first official Comic Con 09 post, In this I'm basically gonna review 2 movies I got to see, and have during Comic Con 09 which was a couple weeks ago. So first lets start with a little Documentary given to me by the great Count Gore De Vol.

___"Every Other Day Is Halloween"(2009)__

Trailer:


Directed by: C.W. Prather

So this film originally showed During Comic Con on the first official day of the Con, Which was Thursday the 23rd as part of the film festival. Frankly I wasn't on top of what was shown, or where it was, so unfortunately I didn't get to see it on a big screen. But one day(Forgot which one) I was walking around the con's Autograph area, and spotted someone familiar. Now long before I saw this I had a pretty bad knowledge of Horror hosts; mainly because I didn't grow up with any. I started into the whole thing with Mystery Science Theater 3000, later on I got the Vampira Documentary. I got a little more aware, but was still very behind on it. That is until I saw a article in the magazine Rue Morgue(My favorite horror mag) about a documentary called "American Scary".
"American Scary" is a documentary that basically, covers pretty much all the major Horror Hosts like Zacherly, Vampira, ect. It has a lot of horror hosts in it, discussing the art and the other horror hosts. One being the Count; now Ive heard of him for awhile but still didn't really know who exactly is the Count. So while walking around Comic Con I spotted a person wearing a cape, dressed like a vampire, and I instantly thought "Is that Count Gore De Vol?". Well I was really unsure if I was right and I walked up to him and asked him. He verified it and I mentioned the fact I saw him in American Scary. That's when a person sitting next to Count handed me a movie, called "Every Other Day Is Halloween" and also gave me some tips on movies I could review.(Gotta see some Don Dohler flicks) So while talking to him, telling him who I am; I also get to meet the Director of American Scary, and another Horror Host, "Mr. Lobo" From CinemaInsomnia. Well I have video of them all who were nice enough to take time to do a little Shtick for me. I will have the videos up when I get my editing program to actually work.

So I get home and I pop in the disk. On it is written "Festival Screener 2.0" and has a nice little picture of Count Gore on it. So I put it on, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it really was.

<span class=

Well the movie starts out showing the Count at his house during Halloween with a song by(I believe is by) another Horror Host; who was at comic con, but unfortunatly for me, I didn't know was a horror host. That man is Mr. Karlos Borloff, who I saw when in line for GWAR. So the movie starts out explaining who Count Gore is and his impact on the people of Washington D.C. There his show "Creature Feature" was showed on Channel 20, and grew a cult status. They go over his different roles like Captain 20, Bozo, and Of course, the Count Gore De Vol. They go through Dick Dyszel's whole career at Channel 20; and beyond the station. The beginning covers Dick in the 70's, the birth of Creature Feature and Captain 20; and goes up to where it started to die in the mid 80's. Then his triumphant come-back on the world wide web. It also talks about the various friends, and people who had helped Dick throughout his career.

The movie has interviews with other horror hosts inspired by the Count, like Karlos Borloff(
Jerry Moore II), Dr. Sarcofiguy(John Dimes) and more. Also goes over how Count Gore helped bring together all these horror hosts, and helped really changed the art forever.
Overall the movie is really good, well made, Funny, and pretty inspiring. It shows just how much he did, and how many people he helped shape into what they are today. If it ever comes out for sale; I really do recommend you get it, Or if it comes to your town, go check it out.

To see if its showing near you check out the wordpress for it will all sorts of news, and announcements on the film here:
http://everyotherdayishalloween.wordpress.com/

Also if you want to see the Count in action check out his site right here:
http://countgore.com/gore/

And Monster Madhouse's site:
http://www.monstermadhouse.com/

And some more horror host sites right here..
http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/tvhorrorhosts/
http://www.horrorhosts.com/

4.5 out of 5
<span class=

Poster:
<span class=

Dont forget to check out Vampira documentary, and American Scary.


Now while at Comic Con, I was lucky enough to be one of the many people to view the 3 years in the making, Halloween themed Anthology film.

___"Trick R' Treat"(2008)__
Trailer:


Directed by: Michael Dougherty
Starring:
(Sam)Quinn Lord
(Mr. Kreeg)Brian Cox
(Steven)Dylan Baker
Taglines:
"Poison, Drowning, Claw, Or Knife. So Many Ways To Take A Life."

Ive been waiting for a long time to see this movie. First learned about it threw the people at Lone Sausage(People behind Dr. Tran) who were publicizing the movie. I looked up Dougherty, liked his art, saw the short its based on and liked that a lot also and was hyped on seeing the film. I'm not really sure what happened to the film, but it kept getting pushed back more and more, and eventually is coming Direct To Video, which is a Real shame, because this is a movie you really need to see on a big screen, with other people to really appreciate it.

If you guys don't want spoilers, then I recommend you stop reading right about..
Now, so the movie starts out with a little instructional video on Halloween safety, and rules which are:
Wear a costume.
Hand out treats.
Never blow out a jack-o'-lantern.
And always check your candy


Each of these rules apply to the diffrent storys in the movie. Now I really really don't want to give away too much, because it really is worth it going in blind. But I will lay out a basic outline. The film plays much like a 80's horror film, and movies like Creepshow. The theme to Trick R' Treat even sounds a lot like the Creepshow theme. So the film plays a lot like Pulp Fiction, in the sense that its a bunch of story's all taking place on Halloween, and all revolving on the same block. The story's arnt in order, but you can pretty much put together what happens when.

<span class=Photobucket" border="0">

The acting is great, the monsters are awesome, and the effects were great. Not too much Cgi and great make up. Sam looked, and is a great character, and I happily await more of Sam. My favorite story is probably the end one, that's just really really great. The movie has a lot of good twists, a lot of gore, and a lot of Really Memorable moments. I would die for a shirt with the last scene in the story with Dylan Baker.
This is one of the best, and funnest horror movies Ive seen since Drag Me To Hell, and really gives me hope for new horror films.

Overall:
Gore: 5/5
Monsters: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Story's 5/5

5 out of 5
<span class=Photobucket" border="0">

Poster:
<span class=Photobucket" border="0">

Quote: "Charlie Brown's a Asshole!"

Also thanks for the movie Count!

No comments:

Post a Comment